Eating salad can quickly become a boring task. Especially when you’re eating the same old salad, over and over. But guys, it doesn’t have to be like that anymore. Thanks to Fitness Magazine, we’ve got a scrumptious recipe for Kale and Apple Salad. It’s not just delicious, it’s a superfood salad.
The Kale and Apple Salad is loaded with iron, calcium, fiber, and also vitamins A, C, and K. If you’re not a kale fan because of it’s toughness, we’ve got a trick to that. What you need to do sounds weird but it’s a blessing – massage the kale for a bit with oil and vinegar dressing. That’s it!
Let’s talk about the second half of the salad, shall we? Apples are brimming with antioxidants and fiber. Granny Smith apples are especially perfect for this recipe, however you’re free to use any apple of your choosing.
Now onto the last ingredient, the pistachio hemp clusters. These guys are full of heart-healthy ingredients and essential fatty acids. When you add cinnamon and honey, your taste buds will explode with flavor. Let’s not leave it a minute longer, check out the recipe below!
Kale and Apple Salad with Pistachio Hemp Clusters
Note: Makes just two to four servings.
– 1 bunch of kale (about 8 cups, finely chopped)
– 1 large Granny Smith apple
– ½ cup shelled pistachios
– 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
– 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
– 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
– 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons honey
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
– Juice from ½ lemon
– ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
– ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt or more to taste
1. Create the pistachio hemp clusters by covering a plate with parchment paper. Then proceed to roughly chop the pistachios. Place them inside a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add in the hemp hearts, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Then proceed to dry roast for five minutes, occasionally tossing.
2. Add two tablespoons of honey in the saucepan, make sure to stir to combine evenly.
3. Remove any mixture from the heat and transfer to the pre-made parchment paper-lined plate (from step 1). Press the mixture into the plate using a spoon or your hands. Allow to cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
4. Wash the kale and then remove the tough stems. Ensure you thinly slice the kale, and place inside a large bowl.
5. Create the dressing by squeezing lemon juice in a small bowl. Add olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, honey, and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt. Whisk all of this together.
6. Pour dressing on top of the sliced kale. Massage the kale as you grab a bunch at a time, squeeze and rub together with your hands. Massage the kale for around five minutes.
7. Finely dice the apple and add to the kale bowl. Add the crumbled feta cheese.
8. After the hemp and pistachio mixture cools, break it into clusters onto the plate, and add to the salad. Add the sea salt for taste.
9. Bon Appétit!